viernes, 29 de abril de 2016

MODAL VERBS

MODAL VERBS

FORM
+  Subject + modal verb + Infinitive (without to)
- Subject + modal verb + not + Infinitive (without to)
    (we usually use contractions between modal and not)
? (Wh-) + modal + subject + infinitive (without to)?
Examples:
1) CAN:
Natasha can play the piano / He can’t drive / Can you do me a favour?
2) COULD:
We could see the village in the distance / I couldn’t understand him/ Could you describe the man?
3) SHOULD:
Perhaps you should see a doctor/ People shouldn’t break their promises/Should I give up smoking?
4) MUST:
I must remember my key/ You mustn’t smoke here/
Must they wear their uniform at school?
5) MIGHT:
It might rain/ I mightn’t finish the marathon tomorrow/Might he get the job?
6) MAY:
It may be a bomb/  I may not go to his party/May I come in?
 Exceptions:
7) Need:
a)    I need to buy new clothes for winter.
b)    You needn´t wash those glasses.  They are clean.
c)    Need I  go to the supermarket?  We have plenty of food.

8)  Be able to/Be allowed to ( we use the forms of the verb BE)
I was able to park that big car.
Mike is not allowed to go out tonight.

9)  Have to (It is formed as a typical verb)
They have to make their beds everyday.
I didn’t have to pay for the ticket.
Will you have to visit your parents this weekend?

10)  Ought to:
I ought to write him a letter of thanks.
You oughtn’t to wory so much.

11)  Had better:
It’s cold.  The children had better wear their coats.
My wife is waiting for me.  I’d better not be late.

USES
1.  Ability: Can, Could, be able to.
a)    Emma is good with computers.   She can write programs.
b)   Natasha could play the piano when she was four.
c)    It has been a good day.  I’ve been able to get some work done.
d)   The children could swim when they were quite young.
      The children were able to swim across the river.
2.  Permission:  can, may, could and be allowed to.
a)    Can I use your pen?
b)   Could we borrow your ladder, please?
c)    May I see the letter?
d)   You can wait here / You may phone from here.
e)    Passengers will be allowed to take one bag onto the plane.
f)    I could always stay up late as a child or I was allowed to stay...
g)    I was allowed to leave work early yesterday
3.  Necessity, obligation and prohibition: must, have to and need.
a)    You must think about your future.
b)   Mark has to work on Saturday mornings.
c)    Emma had to go to the dentist yesterday.
d)   I need to go to the hairdresser’s.  Look at my hair!!
e)    I must exercise
      You have to exercise.
f)    We must invite Claire.  She’s wonderful company.
      We have to invite Trevor and Laura.  They invited us last time.
g)    You don’t have to wash those glasses.  They are clean.
h)   Mark needn’t finish the report today.  He can do it at the weekend.
i)     You mustn’t smoke here.
4.  Advice:  Should, ought to and had better.
a)    You should relax or You ought to relax.
b)   I know I shouldn’t panic or I oughtn’t to panic.
a)    The neighbours are complaining.  We’d better turn the music down.
b)   You’d better tidy your room or you will be punished.
5.  Possibility and Certainty: might, may, could, must, can’t.
a)    She might be in the music room.
b)   My friends may visit me tomorrow.
c)    That story could be true.
d)   I mightn’t finish the marathon tomorrow.
      I’m completely unfit.  I couldn’t run a marathon.
e)    She isn’t answering the phone.  She must be out.
f)    John can’t be the thief.  He was with me at that moment.
g)    We haven’t walked far.  You can’t be tired yet.


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario